Health means wellness in all spheres of life – be it physical, mental, emotional, social, or sexual. Sexual health is an important part of a well-functioning body. Male sexual health needs attention and information just as much as any other organ system.
Types of male sexual problems
Many types of sexual problems may be encountered by the male body, commonly:
- Erectile dysfunction: Inability to sustain an erection even after repeated attempts at arousal is called erectile dysfunction. It is a quite common and distressing issue among men and is commonly seen in middle age. The problem may be physical or even psychological.
- Premature ejaculation: This is again a frequently encountered sexual problem among men. It is the inability to hold the erection for a satisfactory time during the sexual act and ejaculation within a few minutes of initiating intercourse.
- Different types of ejaculation problems such as delayed ejaculation, retrograde ejaculation, etc.
- Loss of libido or sexual desire is another problem that men may encounter at some point in their lives. The cause may be due to low vitality and poor health, mental health problems, etc.
How does an erection occur
During sexual arousal multiple factors such as
- Hormones, nerves, blood vessels, and even muscles of the body collectively help to cause and maintain an erection.
- The flow of blood to the male sexual organ helps to sustain an erection and carry out the sexual act to its completion.
- Erection problems may be faced by most men a few times in life and these are generally not an issue unless they become persistent.
Causes of weak erection
The causes may be physical, such as:
- Heart disease
- Arteriosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries with age
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Hormonal imbalances like diabetes mellitus, thyroid dysfunction, etc.
- Severe alcoholism
- Nervous problems such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis etc.
- Peyronie’s disease, which is the scarring and contracture of the penis
- Certain medications such as antidepressants, beta blockers, etc.
- Substance abuse and drug problems
- Chronic use of tobacco
- Congenital genital and sexual problems
There are also psychological causes of weak erection, as follows:
- Performance anxiety before the sexual act can affect the sexual performance and erection
- Prolonged stress and worry over mental issues
Lifestyle factors causing weak erection
Lifestyle factors hold an important place when it comes to erection problems, especially in young men who may otherwise have no physical abnormalities.
- An erratic routine, an unhealthy diet, a sedentary lifestyle coupled with chronic smoking and heavy alcohol intake, are all recipe for sexual problems.
- Drug dependence and mental health issues also play a major role in affecting the sexual prowess of young men.
Misinformation and misconceptions spread quickly among young men through sources such as their peer groups, television and movies, and most importantly, the internet. Exposure to pornographic content from a young age may cause men to harbor wrong ideas and incorrect information about their sexual health which may lead to sexual problems later on in life.
Lifestyle modifications to improve sexual health
Identifying that a sexual problem exists is the first step in solving this problem. Even before the need to visit a doctor or start medication, there are changes in diet and lifestyle that one can make to see noticeable results. A diligent improvement in lifestyle is often enough to solve the weak erection problem.
- The first step is to stop tobacco altogether as it is a serious deterrent to sexual health, and physical health in general.
- The amount of alcohol intake should be kept to a minimum and drugs should be avoided.
- One needs to get plenty of rest and follow a systematic, timely daily routine to give their body the required rest and recovery time.
- Taking a healthy diet and hydrating well is equally important.
- One must strive for physical fitness and keep themselves physically active. Not only does exercise keep one in shape but it also releases important chemicals such as endorphins that are necessary for a healthy metabolism.
- Managing stress well through yoga, meditation, communication, therapy, etc.
Sexual problems and Ayurveda
Through time immemorial Indians have trusted Ayurveda for health problems of all kinds. Even despite the advent of modern medicine, a significant proportion of Indians believe in trying Ayurveda, especially for their chronic problems. This is because Ayurveda shows much better results when it comes to functional problems. It is also relatively free of side effects and hence a safer alternative to modern drugs.
In India, people rely on herbal medicine for sex power improvement and enhancement much more than they do on allopathic medications. Ayurveda has a stronghold on the sexual health sphere as herbal remedies cover almost all male sexual problems. The best ayurvedic medicine for stamina boosting is one that suits you and gives long-lasting results without any adverse reactions.
Certain Indian herbs are recommended for a stronger erection. These help to enhance sexual vitality and help sustain the sexual act. The common ones are:
- Ashwagandha: It is on the top of the list as it acts as an efficient aphrodisiac. It helps to sustain the male erection and improves blood flow to the genital organs.
- Kaunch: Kaunch improves the quality of semen and helps in problems like premature ejaculation. It provides energy and vitality also.
- Shilajit: This helps sustain the erection as it improves blood flow to the genitals. It improves the quality of sperms and acts favorably on the male hormones.
- Talmakhana: Widely used for problems of erectile dysfunction, this herb is a sexual tonic and helps improve sperm quality and quantity.
- Other commonly used herbs for sexual problems are Shatavar, Ginseng, cloves, asparagus, etc.
The problem of weak erection is treatable through a healthy diet and lifestyle when supplemented by the appropriate herbal remedies.