The liver is one of the most important organs of our body. Although the organ is often forgotten about, it performs many crucial functions that keep you healthy. Amongst its numerous benefits, the liver helps in clearing out toxins from your body, aids in producing bile, and provides your body with plenty of energy.
Just a fun fact, medical professionals considered the liver the center of the body at one point in history. However, this was only until the function of the heart was discovered.
Why Taking Care of the Liver is Important?
As mentioned earlier, the liver is one of the most important organs in the body. The correct functionality of the organ is important for digestion and healthy blood levels. Let’s state that our liver performs about 500 functions to put things in perspective. These functions lead to a healthy body, making it crucial to understand how to keep the liver healthy by learning its key functions.
Here are some aspects to keep in mind:
- Supplies Energy to Your Body: The liver helps balance the sugar levels in your bloodstream. Your blood sugar levels must be at optimum levels to remain healthy, and the liver helps you manage that. After a meal, the liver removes sugars from the food during digestion. Then your liver stores the sugars as glycogen. So, when your body is low on energy, your liver pulls out the stored energy and converts it into glucose, thus supplying energy to your muscles.
- Improves Nutrient Absorption: The liver absorbs nutrients from your meal and stores them in your body after your meals. When the need arises, the liver stores all the essential nutrients & uses them to replenish your body.
- Processes Food: Liver also helps improve food processing while helping with food digestion. The liver also helps in bile production, which improves your body’s digestion process.
Not just those mentioned above, the Liver has countless other benefits that make it one of the most important organs of your body. If your liver becomes diseased, everything in your body will become difficult to manage. Furthermore, your bodily functions will become difficult to perform. And this is why you should be taking care of your liver.
Ayurvedic Methods to Improve Your Liver Health
In Hindu mythology, it is believed that fiery energy, especially the energy trapped in your body, leads to liver problems. Additionally, some doshas directly relate to liver problems propping up for a person. However, there are numerous solutions and remedies to help manage the liver’s health in Ayurveda. But the secret lies on how these remedies are taken. Every herbal remedy has its own unique way of taking for getting the maximum benefit. Many may not be knowing it. Here we reveal such secrets to multiply the benefits from the same herb.
Herbal products online or offline that you purchase are more likely to be useful as ayurvedic remedies. Of course, you’ll need to find the right herbs to find the correct remedy for liver problems.
Here are some ways to improve your liver health with Ayurveda:
One of the oldest ayurvedic remedies is to use a pinch of turmeric in water. However, its bioavailability, i.e. the amount utilized by the body, will only be negligible if you take it in the usual way. There is a special way to take it to multiply the bioavailability. Not many experts even know that. Please read carefully to enhance the benefits of the same turmeric you have been taking all these long years. Here is the secret method. Boil the water with turmeric in it. Once the water cools down, slice a lemon and squeeze it into the cup along with some pepper. How do lemon and pepper makes it special? Ascorbic acid in lemon is scientifically found to increase the solubility and stability of curcumin to reach upto the colon to increase its bioavailability. Piperine, the active constituent in pepper, increases the bioavailability of curcumin (the main content in turmeric) to 2000%. If you’re not sure that you can drink this, add a spoonful of honey. Honey will make it sweet and help you drink it down. Studies show that the nanocurcumin with honey to increase in vitro release rate of curcumin by about 42%. However, you can tweak turmeric water’s measurements as per your liking. By this way, you can multiply the absorption and utilization of turmeric manyfold.
Before we dive into talking about ayurvedic medicines online, let’s talk about the easier remedies. Garlic is one of the most popular choices for helping your liver’s health. Consumption of garlic has shown promising results to improve your liver’s functionality in the studies. So, all you need to do is add a garlic clove to your regular diet. You can add two to three cloves to your food, chopped up in the curry or the sauce.
Indian Gooseberry has multiple benefits. The herb also helps you improve your liver functionality and stay healthy. Amla is rich in Vitamin C, the perfect safety blanket for a fatty liver. In other words, incorporating foods that are a good source of Vitamin C can help improve your body’s liver function. Additionally, it can help reduce your chances of fatty build-up around the liver.
Since we’re on the topic of Vitamin C, Spirulina is yet another ayurvedic remedy to improve your liver health. Studies have found that Spirulina can potentially help protect the liver. Since Spirulina contains high amounts of Vitamin C, this can have the same effect as other ayurvedic health remedies. If you’re looking for herbal products online, then Sunova’s Spirulina supplement is a good option for you.
You can also use curcumin to improve your liver health. Curcumin has been studied extensively. Since the herb has an aggressive protective functionality, it has a high potential of helping your liver health. You can look for different ayurvedic medicines online or health supplements like Sunova’s curcumin-500 tablets.
Other Things to Keep in Mind
When you think about a healthy liver, there are several things to keep in mind. Knowing the type of food choices you make and the remedies you follow is not enough. You will need some lifestyle changes as well. Usually, in cases of discomfort, having some control over your lifestyle will help you out.
Enlisted below are some lifestyle changes you can make to remain healthy:
- Apart from taking note of different kinds of ayurvedic medicines online, you should include enough fiber in your diet. When you add fiber to your diet, it improves digestion. As the liver needs to digest your food and improve nutrient absorption, better digestion will help. If you struggle with digestive issues, then find a digestion-aiding supplement that can help.
- A fatty liver or any other liver issue becomes a problem due to lack of exercise. Make sure you exercise or work out daily. Exercising regularly for a few minutes will help you manage your liver and reduce the chances of fatty builds.
- To be cautious, you should avoid areas with toxic chemicals on the surface or in the air. Chemicals in cigarettes are also not good for the liver. So, make sure that you keep away from these things to prevent liver diseases.
- Coffee could be your answer to a healthier liver. It has been found that coffee helps in reducing the risk of liver diseases. Although the reason why coffee helps in keeping your liver healthy is not known yet, it does help significantly. However, make sure you consume coffee in moderation. Excess coffee consumption can lead to many health complications.
When it comes to managing your liver health, always make it a point to modify your lifestyle to promote good health. Ensure that you add high-value, nutrient-rich food options to your regular diet. A balanced diet is important to have a healthy liver. So, keep your diet clean and ensure that you go easy on the alcohol. Alcohol affects your liver, and too much of it can directly impact your liver and cause complications.
Get some expert opinion when you suspect that there’s something wrong with your liver. Make sure that you get some tests done to understand the condition of your liver and how it’s functioning at present.
Ayurvedic medicines will help you find the correct aid for your liver health. As other medicines have chemicals and inorganic products, you may react to them. However, that’s the case with certain herbs as well. So, before you start consuming any herb or remedy, make it a point to check that you’re not allergic to it.